The hail damage asphalt roof shingles can sustain may cause serious damage not just to the roof but to the property in general. From a few missing shingles to the loss of protective granules, they can lead to serious water leakage that can compromise the structural integrity of the house. This is why as a homeowner, it is important that you know how to spot hail damage before they worsen and whether you can do anything to prevent them. If you don’t have any idea how to do so, then this blog post is for you.
What do hail damage asphalt roof shingles look like?
When your roof is hit by hailstones, asphalt shingles can easily show obvious signs of damage, including the following:
- Cracked or torn shingles. The impact caused by the hailstones can tear your asphalt shingles. So after a hailstorm, make sure to look for small crescent-shaped black lines on your roof that will usually be visible only upon close inspection. These cracks and tears can lead to water leaks so have them repaired immediately. Don’t let this hail damage asphalt roof shingles worsen and cause more harm to your property.
- Missing shingles. The impact of the hailstone can also tear off your asphalt roof shingles completely. So once a hailstorm has hit your area, get a pair of binoculars afterward and go around your house. Check whether there have been any missing shingles on your roof. If so, contact a roofing contractor right away before this can cause further damage to your home.
- Loss of protective granules. Surface granules are used on asphalt shingles to add weight and color, and to block the sun’s harmful effects on the underlying asphalt. With hailstones, it can easily dislodge these granules from the roof thereby making it more susceptible to the sun’s damaging UV rays.
- Bare spots exposing the roof deck and underlayment. Large and sharp hailstones can easily tear into the upper layer of your asphalt roof, ripping off the protection and exposing the roof deck and underlayment to the sun. When this happens, your roof becomes more vulnerable to UV light degradation which can accelerate cracking, blistering, algae formation, and water leakage.
- Color patches on the roof. When the hailstones hit your roof and penetrated the surface, color patches will be visible on them. These will allow water to seep through beneath the shingles. When this happens, water can easily enter the interiors of your home and cause further damage. Worse, it can even compromise the structural integrity of your property in general.
Can you prevent hail damage?
No, you cannot prevent hail damage on your asphalt shingle roof. However, you can help minimize the extent of damage and its effects by installing impact-resistant roofing materials. This can help your roof withstand greater levels of impact, such as those caused by hailstones. In addition, early detection and action on the hail damage asphalt roof shingles have sustained can also help. If you want to know more about this, contact a reliable roofing contractor. They can help you have a roof that can weather any storms, including hailstorms.
Dealing with hail damage on your asphalt roof shingles?
Centrik Roofing can help. We are your experts in handling and repairing hail damage to any type of roof, including asphalt shingles. We can perform roofing that can last for a long period of time. We can help you find the right roofing materials that have high impact resistance and we can also perform roof repairs to ensure that the hail will not cause further damage to your property. To know more, contact us today and we’ll give you a free onsite estimate!